The Development Officer, reporting to Unseen’s COO, is a vital member of the Development team and focused exclusively on raising funds for Unseen’s operations and program. As such, the Development Officer equips Unseen financially to carry out its mission of fighting human trafficking and its root causes.
● Qualify a caseload of donors that represents high giving potential for Unseen. Donor composition will focus in one or two targeted geographies to maximize Unseen’s resources and to cultivate a solid regional presence.
● Create individual goals and strategies for each donor in your caseload based on donor's history of giving, knowledge of donor's potential, and your connections with influential people who might be able to broker meetings with targeted donors in your caseload.
● Create a communication plan for each donor and associated connective influencers in your caseload. Execute communication plans on a timely basis so that your donors are retained and upgraded.
● Initiate an agreed upon number per week of donor phone calls, emails, appointments, meetings, and gift asks, as determined by head of Development.
● Pursue genuine empathy and understanding of the motivations behind each donor.
● Assess donor values to determine degree of fit, or unfit, with Unseen’s mission.
● Exemplify to donors the highest levels of integrity, credibility, professionalism, true humility, and enthusiasm for Unseen’s mission.
● Achieve or exceed monthly donor revenue targets, or work with head of Development to devise a plan to either adjust revenue targets or outreach strategies.
● Log your appointment notes in DonorDock CRM system, including planned ask amounts and dates, actual ask amounts and dates, and next action steps and dates.
● Report weekly on caseload activity and performance.
● Receive guidance gracefully, and exhibit flexibility when asked to shift directions.
● Provide expertise and consultation to Unseen Partners at the request of Program Director.
This position does not manage direct reports.
This is a 30-hour per week, benefitted, exempt position. Work hours are flexible--to be approved by supervisor--and fall generally between Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.. This position requires longer hours and weekend work during some weeks to accommodate donor availability and fundraising events.
This position may, or may not, require up to 40% travel, depending on caseload composition. Meetings beyond the Fargo-Moorhead region could involve car and airline travel, and occasional overnight trips.
● 5-years experience fundraising for major gifts of $5,000+ with evidence of success.
● 2-years experience speaking/presenting professionally to groups.
● 2-years experience meeting 1:1 with prospective and existing high capacity donors.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Ability to effectively work independently and collaboratively with others.
● 3-years experience qualifying a caseload of donors, creating an individualized communication plan per donor, initiating a targeted number of outreach meetings per week--including a targeted number of monetary asks per week.
● 2-years experience assessing donor values to determine donor’s degree of fit, or unfit, with an organization’s mission.
● Strong organizational skills, including disciplined method to meet goals and deadlines.